Earlier this week, we shared part one of this conversation, all about how to find deeper purpose in life. And I feel like all of it is so divinely timed. This entire month, we’ve been simplifying topics in and around this realm to find clarity on the year ahead. From creating a vision board to visualizing a new path for your life ahead, my hope is that my conversation with Dan Millman has dropped down a few new seeds of inspiration as you uncover your deeper purpose in life today and beyond.
Now, if you haven’t heard part one, go back and listen to that one first. But if you’re ready to continue on, let’s pick back up here with my conversation with author Dan Millman as he simplifies how to find deeper purpose in life.
It’s time to simplify…
My special guest today is Dan Millman and he’s simplifying how to find deeper purpose in life.
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- As a young man early on, he learned a valuable life lesson: “Stop thinking about it and jump!” Dan shares this childhood memory and how that phrase has guided him over his lifetime
- How he defines the “human spirit” and why we humans yearn to find deeper purpose in life, unlike any other mammals that we know of
- What the four purposes of life are:
- Learning life’s lessons
- Finding your career & calling
- Discovering your life path
- Attending to this arising moment
- Through his spiritual quest over his lifetime, Dan encountered four mentors: The Professor, The Guru, The Warrior-Priest, and The Sage. He shares what he learned from each and why it’s important to find a mentor to help you uncover your purpose
- …and ultimately, what it means to have a “peaceful heart” and a “warrior spirit” in life. How to incorporate this in a simple, practical way into your work and life
Just a quick bit of love to you, our listeners at The Simplifiers Podcast!
When you hear an episode like today’s on the podcast that potentially stirs up a new idea in your heart, talk about it with someone else.
Maybe you’re thinking about making your own jump, like taking a great big leap in your career, your relationships or how you structure your calendar… I just want to encourage you to talk about it with someone else. Choose someone you trust who you know will give you wise counsel.
Gain their insight and don’t be afraid to say, “hey, I heard this thing on The Simplifiers Podcast… I’m thinking about doing something BIG – what do you think?” Spark a conversation – you might be surprised with what you learn. This is how we all grow and evolve.
Q: Are you ready to find your deeper purpose in life? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
What’s catching my eye this week
- The power of mindfulness in a changing world – Dan Millman at Creative Innovation 2015
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect – The Institute of You
My challenge for you this week
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and to help you find your deeper purpose in life? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned
Book: Peaceful Heart, Warrior Spirit: The True Story of My Spiritual Quest – Dan Millman
Book: The Four Purposes of Life: Finding Meaning and Direction in a Changing World – Dan Millman
Book: Humankind: A Hopeful History – Rutger Bregman
Book: Improv Wisdom: Don’t Prepare, Just Show Up – Patricia Ryan Madson
Podcast: How to overcome obstacles + face your fears, featuring Koya Webb – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast