It’s time to decide… is it time to (finally) say NO to hustle culture running and slowing ruining your entire life? I know I am… but you might not even be aware of the insidious undertone that is happening around us and inside us on the daily, that is totally driving the bus. It reinforces the lie of “not enough” and “you’re doing it wrong” because like any virus, it needs a host to feed on. And if that’s you I dare say, I’m willing to bet that it’s not only affecting your physical health, but your relationships, your sense of belonging, and your mental well-being. Let’s unpack all of that so we together can make a change.
My special guest today for this all-star episode is author Jamie Varon and she’s simplifying how to say NO to hustle culture. She believes you are totally capable of building a satisfied, contented, and happy life for yourself that gently opts out of the societal “shoulds.” There is an infinite wisdom inside you that knows what will make you your most vibrant self and she just wants to help you unlock your truth.
My special guest today is author Jamie Varon and she’s simplifying how to say NO to hustle culture.
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- How she defines what ‘hustle culture’ is/isn’t and what the consequences and warning signs are that you might be caught up in this trap
- What it means to be “radically content” – in a real, authentic and lasting way
- When society tells us we are “not enough” – we remain stuck… how we can squash this old story and begin to unlearn what we’ve been taught us over time
- Why it’s potentially dangerous to be in the constant pursuit of our “best” lives and ideas on what’s better
- …and ultimately, she shows us how to reduce the negative self-talk that keeps you dissatisfied and feeling unworthy of happiness and deep contentment.
I believe it’s the 1000 daily choices that make up my lifetime.
When I choose wisely, my little light inside shines brighter and brighter.
And equally, when I get overwhelmed or exhausted, have a slip or hit the big red F-it button in the sky, well… that’s a choice too. Either way, I hope you know that you’re never too far gone. When you are rooted down in the present, surround yourself with healthy people and life-giving communities, all it sometimes takes is the courage to take the very next step.
You can do it, I believe in you… it’s time to simplify!
Q: Are you ready to say NO to hustle culture? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
What’s catching my eye this week
- What is Hustle Culture? – Martina Mascali – Monster
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect – The Institute of You
My challenge for you this week
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and to help you say NO to hustle culture? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned
Book: Radically Content: Being Satisfied in an Endlessly Dissatisfied World – Jamie Varon
Podcast: How to re-emerge after hibernation, featuring Carrie Contey, Ph.D. – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast