This week, we are talking about the 5 Love Languages and how to put them into action. For a book that’s sold over 20 million copies and has been reprinted in 50 languages around the world, I have a feeling most people have heard of this concept of ‘finding your Love Language’ but not exactly sure how to make it make sense in your own work or life.
My special guest today is author Dr Gary Chapman and he’s simplifying how to put the 5 Love Languages into action. If you’ve got strained relationships where you feel like you’ve tried everything but can’t seem to get through to them, this episode is especially for you.
My special guest today is Dr. Gary Chapman and he’s simplifying how to put the 5 Love Languages into action.
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- A brief overview of what the 5 Love Languages are and how they work. He also shares why he believes that “love has to be more than something you feel… It has to be something you do.
- Words of Affirmation
- Quality Time
- Receiving Gifts
- Acts of Service
- Physical Touch
- Details about his latest book, “Love is a Choice” which compiles 28 extraordinary stories of the 5 Love Languages in action and we zoom in on 3 of those special stories.
- Talks about a time when a random act of kindness made an incredible difference to a stranger.
- Decide if the word “compromise” is a negative word in a friendship or relationship - why or why not
- …and ultimately, he shared his advice for couples where one person’s natural response is to try to “fix” the other person, instead of simply loving them in their Love Language and how to navigate those waters.
This book has been pivotal to so many relationships around the world. I mean it’s the one book that is most given as a wedding present to new couples than any others.
And I think at the heart of it is that it gives us a simple framework to remember how to show our appreciation for another person in a way they like to receive it. You can write thank you letters and buy people gifts all day long, but if Quality Time is their primary Love Language, they really just want to spend time with you… Nothing else matters.
Learn the secrets on today’s episode to avoid making the same mistake over and over again in your most cherished relationships.
Q: Are you ready to learn how to put the 5 Love Languages into action? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- 3 hours of (free) focus music for deep concentration - Quiet Quest - Study Music
- The 5 Love Languages - And How to Use Them to Strengthen Your Relationship - Heidi Borst - Deborah Courtney, Ph.D - Forbes Health
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect - The Institute of You
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and try toput the 5 Love Languages into action this week? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and send me a DM over on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/thesimplifiers) for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts - Dr. Gary Chapman
Book: Love is a Choice: 28 Extraordinary Stories of the 5 Love Languages - Dr. Gary Chapman
Book: The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace - Dr Gary Chapman & Paul White
Podcast: How to set healthy boundaries, featuring Nancy Levin - The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs - The Simplifiers Podcast
Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you!
Now more than ever, I’m finding 7-minutes of journaling is helping me calm my mind and get centered every morning.
So, start your day off right, download The Simplifiers Morning Prompts.
It’s a free daily worksheet that helps you laser-focus on what needs to get done today, what could trip you up and how you’re going to stay on track. 5 questions, 7 minutes… this worksheet will help you SIMPLIFY!
About Dr. Gary Chapman:
Gary Chapman, Ph.D.—author, speaker, and counselor—has a passion for people, and for helping them form lasting relationships. He is the author of The 5 Love Languages, which has sold over twenty million copies.
Gary’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Arlene Pellicane - blogger, speaker, author. Arlene joint-authored Growing Up Social: Raising Relational Kids in a Screen-Driven World, with Dr Gary Chapman.
Where Gary hangs out online: